Thursday, July 26, 2007

Canon PIXMA MP160 link error code 2,155,0

I brought the wonderful Canon PIXMA MP160 Multifunction All-In-One Inkjet Printer-scanner last week. Had I have a few hundred extra I would have choose MP530... But then again, it's cheap and work prefectly for most of my project. So, why spend more?

Anyway, my 1st choice is MP180, but no store in my neighborhood had any left...and I'm desperate for a scanner to finish my project. And so, I have it there -- the MP160 on my desk.

I use a 1.5m shielded premium USB cable when I test drive it for the 1st time. Everything was ok. Since my desk is a bit clamp, I thought I could have free up some more space if I were to move this MP160 to another side-table next to my working table. So I add a cheaper 1.5m USB extension cable to it.

I scan it from Photoshop CS. No problem encountered! Then I try to scan it directly from Canon ScanGear, and what do you know, an error message pop-up "Code 2,155,0 .... " something about cannot link to the scanner! What! How can it be? I was ABLE to scan from using Photoshop CS, why can't I use the default Canon software to scan it? After all, the Photoshop CS while scanning actually calling the same Canon ScanGear software to scan the photo...

Of course, never give up so easily, as I believing almost nothing is impossible, I search a few hours on the net, google this and that... The conclusion: either I buy a expensive premium 3m USB cable, OR make some changes to my work place...

Since I'm not scanning like 24x7, and more like once a month thing. So, you guess it, I go for the latter, clear some room from my work-desk!

So, the score: Canon 1, Me 1/2. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I on the other hand was able to get the CANON MP530 and still had that same issue with the code: 2,155,0. Cannot communicate with scanner. But thanks for this info

Cris said...

Good for you to have MP530. I'm sure it's a fine machine. Like my MP160, it has serve me well since then.
Anyway, did you try using a premium USB cable, or a shorter cable? Premium cable usually has a ferrite core/ring/bead around them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead)...
Alternately, you can lower your USB speed to 1.1 instead of the usual 2.0 (but you'll need to go into the BIOS to do the setting, not recommended for novice)

Anonymous said...

After reading you site, Your site is very useful for me .I bookmarked your site!